It was about one and a half years ago that I finally I arrived where I had always wanted to be and do what I had always wanted-- teach students, support small language communities and conduct research on African languages on my doorstep. The University of Cape Town and my new colleagues welcomed my efforts to establish the Centre for African Language Diversity-- CALDi as well as The African Language Archive-- TALA and I was recently appointed the Mellon Research Chair: African Language Diversity this initiative. The main aim of CALDi is to train young African scholars in descriptive linguistics and open up space for research into African languages at UCT with the hopes of countering the dominance of African linguistics outside the continent. It has been a great challenge for which my whole career has been a form of preparation...Read more
The Cambridge Handbook of Communication Disorders examines the full range of developmental and acquired communication disorders and provides the most up-to-date and comprehensive guide to the epidemiology, aetiology and clinical features of these disorders.
Teaching for Understanding Across the Primary Classroom
The book discusses the complex nature of understanding and what it means to teach for understanding. The processes and strategies that can support teaching for understanding are then exemplified in the context of different areas of the primary / elementary (4-11 years) school curriculum.
Editorial Introduction Lynn D. Newton (University of Durham)
1. Helping Children to Understand Douglas Newton (University of Newcastle)
2. Whatever Happened to Primary English Knowledge and Understanding? Sue L. Beverton (University of Durham)
3. Teaching for Understanding in Primary Mathematics Andrew David (University of Durham)
4. Teaching for Understanding in Primary Science Lynn D. Newton (University of Durham)
5. Developing Young Children’s Understanding: An Example from Earth Science Tony Blake (University of Newcastle)
6. ICT and Teaching for Understanding Steve Higgins (University of Newcastle)
7. Teaching for Understanding in Primary Geography John Halocha (Bishop Grosseteste College)
8. Encouraging Historical Understanding in the Primary Classroom Lynn D. Newton (University of Durham)
9. Expression in the Visual Arts P.Millward and A. Parton (University of Durham)
10. Teaching for Understanding – Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage Eve English (University of Durham)
Lynn Newton taught for many years in the North East of England, initially as a primary teacher and then as an advisory teacher for primary science. She moved to Newcastle University in 1987, where she was Director of the Primary PGCE programme. She is now Director of Primary Programmes at Durham University and the tutor in charge of primary science. Her most recent publications are Co-ordinating Science Across the Primary School (Falmer, 1998) and Meeting the Standards in Primary Science (Routledge-Falmer, 2000).