This timely introduction to Old English literature focuses on the
production and reception of Old English texts, and on their relation to
Anglo-Saxon history and culture.
- Introduces Old English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon
- Responds to renewed emphasis on historical and cultural contexts in the
field of medieval studies.
- Treats virtually the entire range of textual types preserved in Old English.
Considers the production, reception and uses of Old English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds crucial to understanding Old
- Offers very extensive bibliographical guidance.
Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon studies is uniquely placed to contribute to
current literary debates.