"Buenos dias", "buenas noches" -- this was the first words in a foreign language I heard in my life, as a three-year old boy growing up in developing post-war Western Germany, where the first gastarbeiters had arrived from Spain. Fascinated by the strange sounds, I tried to get to know some more languages, the only opportunity being TV courses of English and French -- there was no foreign language education for pre-teen school children in Germany yet in those days. Read more
To find some answers Tim Machan explores the language's present and past, and looks ahead to its futures among the one and a half billion people who speak it. His search is fascinating and important, for definitions of English have influenced education and law in many countries and helped shape the identities of those who live in them.
This volume provides a new perspective on the evolution of the special language of medicine, based on the electronic corpus of Early Modern English Medical Texts, containing over two million words of medical writing from 1500 to 1700.
1. Deploying 21st Century Writing on the Economic Frontlines Pages 1-2 Lanette Cadle, Elizabeth A. Monske
2. A Pedagogy of Resistance Toward Plagiarism Detection Technologies Pages 3-15 Stephanie Vie
3. Make It Do or Do Without: Transitioning from a Tech-Heavy to a Tech-Light Institution: A Cautionary Tale Pages 16-23 Erin Karper
4. Re-embodying Online Composition: Ecologies of Writing in Unreal Time and Space Pages 24-36 Ken Gillam, Shannon R. Wooden
5. Reel-to-Reel Tapes, Cassettes, and Digital Audio Media: Reverberations from a Half-Century of Recorded-Audio Response to Student Writing Pages 37-49 John B. Killoran
6. Making Peace with the Rising Costs of Writing Technologies: Flexible Classroom Design as a Sustainable Solution Pages 50-60 Susan Miller-Cochran, Dana Gierdowski
7. Valuing the Resources of Infrastructure: Beyond From-Scratch and Off-the-Shelf Technology Options for Electronic Portfolio Assessment in First-Year Writing Pages 61-73 J.S. Dunn, Carrie Luke, David Nassar