The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
|Program Name:||Department for General Linguistics - Master Linguistics|
|Alternate Name:||Institut für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft - Master Sprachwissenschaft|
|Institution:||Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster|
|Application Deadline:||July 15, 2009|
|Contact Person:||Rene Schiering, Dr.|
|Program Size:||Medium (11-25 students)|
|Program Description:||* Start: fall semester 2008/2009, application deadline for WS09/10 is July 15 2009!
* Duration: 4 semesters
* Focus on research → ideal preparation for a doctoral program in linguistics.
* Combines a strong emphasis on naturalistic data with sophisticated methodological and theoretical reflection.
* Empirical → collection, analysis and storage of linguistic data (linguistic field work, descriptive linguistics, language documentation); this includes use of state-of-the-art technology.
* Theoretical → grammatical theory, linguistic typology, language universals research; a special focus is placed on the interfaces between social cognition, language structure and language use (discourse and conversation analysis, anthropological linguistics).
* Cross-linguistic approach: next to standard European languages, their non-standard varieties and especially non-European language play an important role in the program.
* Unlike in many other departments in Germany, all courses offered are exclusively for students pursuing a Master’s degree (no B.A. in Linguistics is offered at Münster).
* Small group size (at the most 15 students per year)
* Individual supervision and support by a faculty advisor throughout your entire course of studies.
|Add a new program|
|Update this program|
|Update a different program|